Pure White Gull - St. Johns Cnty

Diana Doyle <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 8 Apr 2012 19:45:37 -0400

The gull pictured below was at the Vilano Boat Ramp in St. Augustine this morning. Pure white, but with incredibly worn feathers.

Albino? No red eye... and mantle had very faint grayish coloring. Leucistic? Or just plumage so worn that there is no color left in the remaining portion of the feathers?

The size and bill structure suggests a leucistic Laughing Gull. But the bird's plumage is completely threadbare and it looks "thin" from the wing and head (but maybe an effect of the worn plumage).

Any chance it could be something else? Pink leg color, pink bill with dark tip, and pale eye match an Iceland Gull, but...

(Nothing was wrong the the gull. I just chose this awkward-pose photo because it shows the wing, legs, feet, bill, and eye color.)

Thanks!

(And if I don't post again before I depart FL -- thanks to the Brdbrain community for one of the most congenial and professional birding listservs I've followed. I've learned so much from my months of "listening"!)

Diana Doyle
Minneapolis, MN/St. Augustine, FL

http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html

To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail send a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] To reinstate mail service after NOMAIL send a message: SET BRDBRAIN MAIL to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________