To those commenting, my humble comment.

There are no reasons not to have a hummingbird feeder or two up and maintained (solution replaced twice a week and feeder cleaned once a week) anywhere in central to north FL,  year round! In FL I strongly recommend that that folks buy small feeders and fill them with less than 8 oz. of 4-1 solution. We don't have the numbers of hummers found in the west or further north that will empty a feeder in less than 3 days.    That said, I will also add that a feeder may very well not attract a single hummer!  Urban areas with few trees, protective foliage and other food sources (nectar producing flowers) will not attract hummers regardless of the number of feeders one might put in place. Hummingbirds as a minimum require three of the four habitat essentials (food, water, shelter and nesting sites) and feeders are not essential for hummingbirds, nor do they instinctively use them.  Feeder use by hummers is a learned experience.

A feeder alone will rarely guarantee that you will ever have a hummer use it!  Hummingbirds are a bit like homebuyers and are attracted to location, location, location!

Joe Misiaszek

Lakeland

To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail send a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] To reinstate mail service after NOMAIL send a message: SET BRDBRAIN MAIL to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________