Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2015 3:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] Buschman Park, Port Orange-- Migrant Trap!

Hi Everyone,

I recently moved from Orlando to Port Orange and today I "discovered" Buschman Park thanks to the brilliant "Greater Daytona Bird Watching Guide" produced by Halifax River Audubon.

Knowing that the weather conditions last night would be prime for migrants this morning, I had planned to make the trip to Mead Botanical Gardens in Orlando. But, I watched too much football last night and slept in.  So, I thought I'd check out Buschman.  The weather was miserable but the birding was phenomenal!

Highlights of the morning were:

Tons of Blackburian warblers (I'm estimating at least two dozen, but there were probably much more. They were everywhere and most of the males were still brilliantly colored with flaming orange throats. I've never seen anything like it before.)

A dozen or so Cape May warblers

5 Black-throated Blue warblers

3 Tennessee warblers

2 Prairie warblers

3 Worm-eating warblers

Only 1 American Redstart

While the Cape Mays seemed to stick to the trees along the ditch/creek, the Blackburnians were moving in feeding flocks with titmice.

I can't wait to see what other surprises this park produces this evening and in the coming weeks!

Ted Yeatts
Port Orange

To set to no mail send a message:  SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL to
To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail send a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] To reinstate mail service after NOMAIL send a message: SET BRDBRAIN MAIL to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________