I had a great midday excursion to Saddle Creek Park in Lakeland yesterday, racking up 11 species of warblers, including Kentucky, Hooded, 3 Worm-eating, and 2 Prothonotary. A young male Baltimore Oriole was also a nice surprise.

Full eBird list below.

Saddle Creek Park, Polk, Florida, US
Sep 3, 2015 11:10 AM - 2:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.7 mile(s)
38 species (+1 other taxa)

Mallard (Domestic type)  4
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Double-crested Cormorant  3
Anhinga  12    One individual with a huge wad of hot pink fishing line wrapped around its beak :-/
Great Blue Heron  4
Great Egret  3
Tricolored Heron  1
White Ibis  10
Black Vulture  6
Osprey  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  2    One bird flew up from the ground with empty talons. Must have missed!
Common Gallinule  1
Limpkin  1    Very low count for this location. Probably because I was there in the middle of the day when they're more secretive.
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  5
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Blue Jay  1
Fish Crow  3
Tufted Titmouse  4
Carolina Wren  9
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  28
Northern Mockingbird  1    Along the nature trail - an area where I don't typically see this species.
Ovenbird  5    One individual flipped out when I played a Kentucky Warbler song - hopping around me and calling loudly with its crown feathers raised. I have no idea why an Ovenbird would react so strongly to the song of another species.
Worm-eating Warbler  3    Unusually high count for this species.
Black-and-white Warbler  1    Surprisingly low count. These guys are usually quite abundant at this location.
Prothonotary Warbler  2
Kentucky Warbler  1    Seen and heard well, calling frequently. Did not sing and did not respond to playback of its song.
Hooded Warbler  1
American Redstart  1
Northern Parula  7
Yellow Warbler  1    In a large lone live oak near the south end of the road.
Yellow-throated Warbler  9
Prairie Warbler  2
Northern Cardinal  17
Boat-tailed Grackle  3
Baltimore Oriole  1

Daniel Estabrooks
Winter Haven, FL
To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail send a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] To reinstate mail service after NOMAIL send a message: SET BRDBRAIN MAIL to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________