May 6, 2018
A birding friend emailed me today asking when MIKIs would show up here in south Marion County. "Due any time”, I replied.
My earliest sightings from the last couple of years were April 24, 2016, and May 12, 2017. So……. I decided to go find a Mississippi Kite today.
I went to the area where I regularly saw them last year and drove around. AND drove around some more. I saw many birds in the neighborhood: Great-crested Flycatchers, House Finches, Northern Mockingbirds, American Crows, Northern Cardinals, Blue Birds, Blue Jays. I wasn’t giving up, it had only been an hour, now 5:00pm. I pulled the car over and just sat for a few minutes watching some noisy Crows being Crows. THEN I saw one MIKI very high and far away.  I Jumped out of the car, took one picture, and then saw another bird flying closer to me.  I got a few shots but MIKIs flew away and I couldn’t find them again. Best pictures I could take with the white sky and it was beginning to drizzle.
GREAT DAY!

Alice Horst
Marion County, FL

To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail send a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] To reinstate mail service after NOMAIL send a message: SET BRDBRAIN MAIL to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________