I have twice tried to get this video to be accessible, but probably due to my lack of technical skill, only a few people have been able to watch it.  Let's try a description:

An adult little blue heron was stalking prey in the Viera Wetlands marsh.  As it did so, it started to wave its entire neck and head from side to side, describing about a 120 degree arc.  It did this curious motion about 6 times over a course of about 20-30 seconds and then stopped.  It really looked like a metronome!

Does anyone have any knowledge of what this bird was doing?  One person thought it might be triangulating prey.  Any insights would be most appreciated.

Many thanks!

Sam Fried, Titusville, Brevard

To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail send a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] To reinstate mail service after NOMAIL send a message: SET BRDBRAIN MAIL to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________