Sam-

All herons and egrets are very highly evolved and extremely skilled
predators. Little Blues may feel around with their feet here and there,
but they are sight feeders- first and foremost. The person who called
the behavior you described 'triangulation' hit the nail on the head
here. These birds have very acute vision, and that weaving from side to
side enables them to precisely locate prey and measure distance to the
food item as well. When you may only have one stab at a fast moving
meal- you analyze all of the variables before you make your move. The
bird uses the information gleaned during its assessment to calculate the
precise movements required for a one-shot kill. Failure is not an
option. Smart bird. Smart, efficient bird.

Best-

Vince Capp

Bayonet Point, FL

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vincecapp

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vincecapp/39154563772/

On 7/22/2018 3:01 PM, Sam Fried wrote:

> I have twice tried to get this video to be accessible, but probably
> due to my lack of technical skill, only a few people have been able to
> watch it. �Let's try a description:
>
> An adult little blue heron was stalking prey in the Viera Wetlands
> marsh. �As it did so, it started to wave its entire neck and head from
> side to side, describing about a 120 degree arc. �It did this curious
> motion about 6 times over a course of about 20-30 seconds and then
> stopped. �It really looked like a metronome!
>
> Does anyone have any knowledge of what this bird was doing? �One
> person thought it might be triangulating prey. �Any insights would be
> most appreciated.
>
> Many thanks!
>

> /Sam Fried, Titusville, Brevard/
>
> To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv
> list, please visit us on the web at:
> http://listserv.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail send
> a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL to [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> To reinstate mail service after
> NOMAIL send a message: SET BRDBRAIN MAIL to [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> Report any problems to the listserv
> administrator: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

---