7/4/18
Paynes Prairie was really nice today. Water has receded substantially but most of walking trail continues to be closed.  Around the boardwalk there was plenty of activity: Common and Purple Gallinules, Great and Little Blue Herons, Snowy and Great Egrets, Osprey, several screaming Limpkins, Sandhill Cranes, Anhingas, Red-winged Blackbirds. I thought I heard a Rail but could not find it. Northern Cardinals were singing and flying around.
I watched a Little Blue eat an appetizer and then stab a large lunch for himself. Many Snail eggs around so Limpkins won’t be leaving anytime soon.

La Chua Trail continues to be flooded.
Boardwalk was wonderful as it was under cloud cover today.

Purple Gallinule. I saw several.

I could hardly believe this.
Little Blue Heron swallowed this poor frog whole - once he got it under control.

This was fascinating to watch!

Finally - Limpkin was QUIET!

Every day is a GREAT day to go birding!
Alice Horst, Marion County

To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail send a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] To reinstate mail service after NOMAIL send a message: SET BRDBRAIN MAIL to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________