7/4/18
Paynes Prairie was really nice today. Water has receded substantially but most of walking trail continues to be closed.  Around the boardwalk there was plenty of activity: Common and Purple Gallinules, Great and Little Blue Herons, Snowy and Great Egrets, Osprey, several screaming Limpkins, Sandhill Cranes, Anhingas, Red-winged Blackbirds. I thought I heard a Rail but could not find it. Northern Cardinals were singing and flying around.
I watched a Little Blue eat an appetizer and then stab a large lunch for himself. Many Snail eggs around so Limpkins won’t be leaving anytime soon.

[log in to unmask]" class="">
La Chua Trail continues to be flooded.
Boardwalk was wonderful as it was under cloud cover today.

[log in to unmask]" class="">
Purple Gallinule. I saw several.

[log in to unmask]" class="">
I could hardly believe this.
Little Blue Heron swallowed this poor frog whole - once he got it under control.

[log in to unmask]" class="">
This was fascinating to watch!

[log in to unmask]" class="">
Finally - Limpkin was QUIET!

Every day is a GREAT day to go birding!
Alice Horst, Marion County

To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail send a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] To reinstate mail service after NOMAIL send a message: SET BRDBRAIN MAIL to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________